Saturday, September 09, 2006

Oops, He Took A Tumble

I walked along the sidewalk in frot of my apartment. A little boy about six years old wearing a swimming suit burst out of the doorway of a neighboring apartment. His face was beaming with excitement as he ran lickety-split toward the swimming pool. Suddenly he tripped, stumbled a few steps and then fell flat on his face, hitting the ground with a great big thud. He got up slowly, dirt on his face and pieces of grass and sand stuck to his knees. He was crying and the tears made little furrows in the dirt as they ran down his cheeks. Then, to add insult to injury, at that very moment his father came around the corner and in a rather gruff way said, "It's getting late son. Time for you to come in."

There has never been a sorrier sight than that little fellow disappearing into the apartment. Life had dealt him a cruel blow. I must admit it took me a couple of minutes to recover from that shattering experience. But then I thought, "He'd better get used to it. It's too bad but that's the way life is and he'll take many more tumbles before it's all over."

We all experience disappointments and sometimes painful tragedies; health, kids, jobs, relationships, money. They can drive us to the brink of dispair. Fortunately help is close by. I am reminded of verses from the Old Testament Book of Proverbs (3:5, 6). "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and don't rely on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths." But someone responds, "The story was touching, but why do you have to start shoveling religion at me! Why offend my intelligence by offering me some mushy thinking that's just an escape from dealing with reality."

Well, if there is no God, then you share with me a satisfying way to respond when the big disappointments crash into my life. Convince me that I'm making a mistake by anchoring my life in what I consider to be the truth stated in the proverb. Give me a better, more realistic, life affirming alternative. In the meantime I am going to trust in the Lord with all my heart and expect, "The God Who Is There," to live up to His promise. I don't know what will happen tomorrow, but I'm ready for it no matter what it might be.

The day after I saw the little boy take a serious tumble I went swimming, and you guessed it, there he was happily splashing around in the water. He had finally made it to the pool. Yesterday's tumble didn't matter any more. It was not a permanent setback or defeat. His being there made me feel good. I was encouraged knowing we can move on after taking a tumble and I thanked God for that truth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home